Fast Company has a fairly good article on how successful people spend the first hour of their day: What Successful People Do With The First Hour Of Their Work Day.
I would change the word successful to effective, but it makes for a juicier headline. In any case, I have been following a similar regimen since January:
- I awaken between 5 and 5:30 every morning;
- I begin to organize my first tasks in my head before I enter my office;
- I have a small breakfast snack, usually a handful of nuts;
- I work on the first task or tasks of the day and get them out of my way, which gives me a sense of accomplishment;
- I only check and answer email later, between 8 and 9 am, unless I am waiting on overnight correspondence for my first tasks.
That is it. This is a great way to start the day and has made me more productive and effective. Successful? Sure, why not?